Monday, March 15, 2021

On vanity

 

Ecclesiastes 12:8

King James Version

8 Vanity of vanities, 

saith the preacher; 

all is vanity.


Why are humans so enamored with self?

Aren't we aware of how neurotic that is?

If you're rich, someone else is richer.

If you're smart, someone else is smarter.

If you're famous, someone else is more famous.

If you're beautiful, someone else is more beautiful.

If you're talented, someone else is more talented.

If you're young, someone else is younger.


So, why the obsession with self?

Why the obsession with what other people think?

Why the obsession to outdo others?

Look what Solomon had to say, even as he was king, and had everything he wanted:

Ecclesiastes 2:4-11 

King James Version

4 I made me great works; 

I builded me houses; 

I planted me vineyards:

5 I made me gardens and orchards, 

and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits:

6 I made me pools of water, 

to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees:

7 I got me servants and maidens, 

and had servants born in my house; 

also I had great possessions of great and small cattle 

above all that were in Jerusalem before me:

8 I gathered me also silver and gold, 

and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: 

I gat me men singers and women singers, 

and the delights of the sons of men, 

as musical instruments, 

and that of all sorts.

9 So I was greatand increased more 

than all that were before me in Jerusalem: 

also my wisdom remained with me.

10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them

I withheld not my heart from any joy; 

for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: 

and this was my portion of all my labour.

11 Then I looked on all the works 

that my hands had wrought, 

and on the labour that I had laboured to do: 

and, behold, 

all was vanity and vexation of spirit, 

and there was no profit under the sun.


His conclusion?

Ecclesiastes 1:14 

King James Version

14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; 

and, beholdall is vanity and vexation of spirit.


All is vanity, indeed.

An obsession with the flesh -- Satan's playground.

Even a nation like Israel was admonished by God:

Jeremiah 4:30 

King James Version

30 And when thou art spoiled, 

what wilt thou do

Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, 

though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, 

though thou rentest thy face with painting

in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; 

thy lovers will despise thee, 

they will seek thy life.


It's a sin to have pride.

Proverbs 21:4 

King James Version

4 An high look, and a proud heart, 

and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.


It leads to destruction.

Proverbs 16:18 

King James Version

18 Pride goeth before destruction, 

and an haughty spirit before a fall.


Pride is of the world.

1 John 2:16 

King James Version

16 For all that is in the world

the lust of the flesh, 

and the lust of the eyes, 

and the pride of life, 

is not of the Father, 

but is of the world.


Pride is not of CHRIST.

Colossians 2:8 

King James Version

8 Beware lest any man spoil you 

through philosophy and vain deceit

after the tradition of men, 

after the rudiments of the world

and not after Christ.


Pride and vanity are the same.

When you're proud, you're vain.

When you're vain, you're proud.

You think you're superior.

How GOD hates that.

Proverbs 8:13 

King James Version

13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: 

pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, 

and the froward mouth, do I hate.


It is better to fear the LORD.

Proverbs 31:30 

King James Version

30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain

but a woman that feareth the Lord, 

she shall be praised.


And belong to Christ.

Galatians 5:24-26 

King James Version

24 And they that are Christ's 

have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, 

provoking one another, 

envying one another.


Our happiness, fulfillment, contentment -- and most importantly, our SALVATION, lies in JESUS alone.

Colossians 2:9-10 

King James Version

9 For in him dwelleth 

all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10 And ye are complete in him, 

which is the head of all principality and power:


How can we ever want anything of the world?

CHRIST suffices.


Image: Obi - @pixel6propix


Updated 7 January 2024


COMPLEX to SIMPLE

  2 Corinthians 11:3-4 King James Version 3 But I fear, lest by any means,  as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty,  so your minds...